Pitch Improvement Programme
The FA's commitment to improving pitches
The County FA are working in partnership with The FA Facilities and Investment Team, Institute of Groundsmanship and two preferred supplies (Rexim Charterhouse and Rigby Taylors) to develop a grass pitch maintenance service which can be utilised by grassroots football clubs, with the simple aim of improving the quality of grass pitches.
The need for this service is more relevant now than ever, given the current economic times and the pressures facing grass roots football. The key principles behind the service are to provide football clubs with advice and practical solutions on a number of areas.
In the North West region we will be working with the IOG North West Regional Pitch Advisor, to provide visits to local clubs in the county.
To qualify for a visit a club will need to own their own site OR be responsible for maintenance of the grass pitches.
- Access to expert advice at a substantial cost saving compared to an independent agronomist report
- Pitch maintenance advice and support tailored to the needs, budget, expertise and equipment available
- Potential to access external funding for pitch development and or maintenance equipment.
- Clubs complete and submit an Expression of Interest Form if they wish to join and commit to the 12 month programme. The County FA and the Regional Pitch Advisor may select/target a number of clubs depending on the availability of the Pitch Advisors.
- The County FA will coordinate the time and date of the first visit in conjunction with the selected club.
- The County FA will notify the Pitch Advisor of visits and all relevant details.
- The Regional Pitch Advisor completes the first site visit.
- A report is produced by the Pitch Advisor with a copy for the club and the County FA
- Club follows recommendations and actions.
- Feedback sought from club following agreed milestones and timescales, based on the recommendations provided by the Pitch Advisor
- Should the maintenance recommendations not result in an improved pitch or surface, there may be some further improvement work required on site and the club can discuss funding options with the County FA,
Business & Facility Development Manager and the FA Regional Facilities & Investment Manager
- The County FA will contact the club to organise a follow-up visit within 12 months after the original assessment date to gauge whether interventions have been successful,
If the standard of the playing surfaces have improved and offer further advice on next steps.
Costs & Payment
The cost for the programme is £150 per facility which includes two visits, £100 for the first visit and report, £50 for the follow up visit and report. Clubs will be required to pay the county FA, 14 days in advance of the visit following receipt of an invoice.
For more information or further support surrounding the Pitch Improvement Programme, please contact:
The FA County Development Manager