The Gameplan for Growth - England Teams
Throughout May and June, The FA reviewed the impact of The Gameplan for Growth strategy on the women’s and girls’ game.
Launched in March 2017, the strategy pledged to tackle ambitious targets to double participation, double the game’s fanbase and create a high-performance system and world-class talent pipeline for England teams to achieve consistent success on the world stage.
After four seasons the strategy is now concluding, and The FA will outline its continued support for the women’s and girls’ game with the launch of the 2020-24 vision in the coming months.
The FA has reviewed The Gameplan for Growth’s ongoing journey for England teams to achieve consistent success on the world stage.
Please find below the results, words from Phil Neville [England Senior Women’s Head Coach] and Kay Cossington [The FA’s Head of Women's Technical Development].
- Build a sustainable and successful high-performance system
- Build a world-class talent pipeline
- Ready to win 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup
- Within top three countries across all age groups
The creation of the...
- Lioness Player Pathway - a clear and defined pathway through development teams to the Seniors
- England Women’s Blueprint for Success across all stages of the pathway
- Women’s Talent ID Strategy – helping identify the country’s most talented players
Senior team achievements:
- FIFA Women’s World Cup Semi-Finalists 2019
- SheBelieves Cup Winners 2019
- Olympic Qualification secured for 2021
- Highest ever FIFA world ranking – 2nd [as at March 2018]
- England awarded hosting rights for UEFA EURO 2021 [now 2022]
- Lucy Bronze voted Ballon D’Or runner up 2019 and BBC Women’s Footballer of the Year 2018 & 2020
Development team achievements:
- WU20s FIFA World Cup bronze medalists in 2018
- Six U20 bronze medalists from 2018 in 2020 SheBelieves Cup squad
- Consistently qualifying for UEFA EURO age-group tournaments finals
- WU19s – Fifth at 2017 EURO, Sixth at 2019
- WU17s – Sixth in 2017 EURO, Fourth in 2018 & Fifth in 2019